LASA encourages prospective students to spend a day with one of our current students at our campus. Prospective students will have the opportunity to ask questions about student life, academics, and extracurricular activities. Prospective students will attend all classes with their campus host in order to introduce them to our unique classroom environment.
If you are interested in becoming a shadow, please find a day that works for you before you fill out the Shadow Request Form and familiarize yourself with the Shadow Procedures. Because of the number of request we get, there will be no changing a shadowing date once a student has selected a date, even including missing the shadow date due to illness or unforeseen conflicts.
We hope you will take this opportunity to visit LASA. We'd love to show you our campus.
REquestING to Shadow at LASA High School
Spring Semester, 2020
- Students who have applied to the Liberal Arts and Science Academy (LASA) High School for the 2020-2021 school year may visit
- Visit LASA High School for a day between January 22 and February 15, 2019. School is from 8:15a to 3:45p.
- Students that shadow at LASA will be given a note to excuse them from their absence from their normal school.
- Students will accompany/shadow a current LASA student (host) one grade above them and attend their classes for that day.
- Prospective students are encouraged to take part in this shadowing experience. You can submit your application early to ensure that you are able to shadow as we have limited shadow spots for all applicants.
- There will be no changes to shadow dates regardless of reason so make sure the date you select is one that you can make. Unfortunately we will not be able to give anyone a new date because of limited number of spots.
In order to participate in shadow day, students must:
- have a completed LASA application on file. If your application is not on file, your shadow date will be forfeited.
- complete the Shadow Request Form (access to the form will be given ONLY after a completed application is turned in) as soon as possible in order to shadow.
- understand that shadow dates are given to students on a first come, first served basis and can not be rescheduled once a student signs up (we do not have enough time for all applicants to shadow).
- have transportation to and from LASA on the day he/she shadows (LASA does not provide transportation).
Families will receive an email confirmation after the shadow request form is completed.
Before Shadow Date:
- Students must inform their middle schools of their plans to shadow at LASA prior to the day of shadowing. LASA will provide students with a letter verifying their day spent at LASA, which students will need to submit to their middle schools upon their return for attendance purposes.
On Shadow Day:
- On the scheduled day, students must report to the library upon arrival at LASA. The library is located on the second floor at the top of the main stairwell.
- Plan to arrive at LASA no later than 7:50 a.m.
- The school day begins at 8:15 a.m. and ends at 3:45 p.m.
- Students must make arrangements to be picked up by a parent or guardian by no later than 4:00 p.m.
- Students need to bring paper, pen, pencil, a book to read, and either a lunch from home or money to buy lunch ($3.05) in the cafeteria.
- When the shadow hosts arrive, you will be given a short orientation about the following:
- Stay with your shadow host at all times.
- Wear name tag visibly present at all times.
- Ask lots of questions.
- Return to the LASA office if you get separated from your shadow host.
- Remind your host (should he or she forget) to introduce you to his or her teacher at the beginning of the period so the teacher knows that there is a shadow in his/her class.
- Come back to the LASA library room with 10 minutes remaining in the day so you can provide LASA feedback AND we can give you absence excuse for your school.
Other Useful Info
- We arrange with our hosts the day before to give them the courtesy of knowing that they will be providing a tour to a student the following day.
- Please do not show up if you have not been scheduled to shadow. You will not be allowed to shadow on that day.